Wireless router is a necessity for every family, and we may ignore its existence at ordinary times. However, with the continuous growth of the demand for Internet access in the family, the old routers in the family have already been overwhelmed, and Caton and disconnection occur from time to time. Therefore, when upgrading the broadband, the routers should also remember to upgrade synchronously, so as to give full play to the effect of fiber broadband.
The problem has arisen. Faced with a variety of products on the market, how can one buy a router suitable for one’s home when choosing a wireless router?
First, the speed of the router is determined by its CPU and memory
Routers are also the same as our computer mobile phones, with CPU chips and memory. As the CPU runs faster and the memory is larger, its ability to process data is stronger, faster, and it is not easy to crash. Therefore, when choosing a router, you need to consider the hardware configuration of the router.
Secondly, let’s talk about the wireless fidelity standard
Which kind of wireless fidelity the router supports directly determines the transmission rate of WiFi, which has gone through the 802.11a/g/b/n/ac/ad six-generation standard. Currently, 802.11n and 802.11ac protocols are the most widely used protocols.
The theoretical maximum transmission rate of 802.11n is 600Mbps, and the wireless transmission rate of 802.11ac wave2 can reach 3.47Gbps.
So what we usually see as ” gigabit WiFi”, ” 11AC wireless” and ” dual-band gigabit” means that routers support 802.11ac standard protocols. With the continuous upgrading of equipment in the home, it is still necessary to choose a router with higher transmission rate for the home.
Third, is the more antennas, the better the signal?
This is the misconception of most people. Many people buy more antennas at the same price. Theoretically, the more antennas, the more comprehensive the signal coverage, but it has nothing to do with the ability to walk through walls. However, in practice, only in theory, most households use routers with 4 antennas and 2 antennas without much difference, or you cannot feel the difference at all. Because antennas have different power levels, and the more antennas there are, the greater the interference between them may be, resulting in unstable signals. Therefore, the quality of a router has little to do with the number of antennas, so it is good to have enough.
Fourth, what is dual-frequency WiFi?
The 802.11ac protocol was also mentioned above. Routers supporting this protocol will have two WiFi, one in the 2.4GHz band and the other in the 5GHz band. The 2.4GHz band has strong penetration and long signal transmission distance. The advantages of 5GHz WiFi include less interference and fast transmission speed.
However, 5GHz WiFi is not as strong as 2.4GHz WiFi, so it is a bit troublesome to require users to manually switch WiFi bands according to different environments, while current routers tend to combine the two WiFi bands into one.
Fifth, how do you choose gigabytes or 100 megabytes?
When purchasing a router, we should know that the wireless signal quality is not only limited by the router, but also fundamentally limited by the network bandwidth. For example, if you only have 20M broadband in your home, there will be some waste if you choose gigabit router.
Because in the local area network environment, the wireless router with more megabytes will definitely have a better wireless transmission speed, while the network speed when surfing the Internet is determined by the size of the broadband.
That is, 50M broadband, whether it is a 300M router or a 1200M router, the maximum network speed when surfing the internet can only be 50M, so we should also take this into account when choosing and purchasing. Of course, if it is to upgrade broadband in the future, then it is definitely recommended to buy gigabit dual-frequency routers to save the trouble of upgrading equipment in the future.
In addition, the network ports of routers also need to be paid attention to. At present, there are mainly two types: gigabit network ports and 100-megabit network ports.
The transmission rate of gigabit ports is 1000Mbps (gigabit), while the transmission rate of 100Mbps (100 Mbps) for 100 Mbps ports. The transmission rate of gigabit ports is ten times that of 100 Mbps ports. Routers with 100Megaports are recommended for cable bandwidths less than 100M, while routers with gigabits ports are strongly recommended for bandwidths of 100 m and above.
As a necessary Internet equipment for families, the choice of wireless router is actually very critical, and a practical router is obviously the common demand of every consumer, so when choosing a router, we should start from the actual use needs and choose the appropriate home router.
Related Buyer’s guides and Beasts Lists:
- How to choose a home theater projector – Buyer’s Guide
- How to choose the right drone – Buyer’s Guide
- Best USB-C Hubs 2019 – Buyer’s Guide
- BEST PORTABLE POWER BANKS 2019 – BUYER’S GUIDE
- AC1750 WiFi-450+1300 Mbps speeds
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Ideal for homes with 12 or more WiFi devices
- Advanced features for lag-free gaming
- Prioritized bandwidth for gaming, streaming videos, or music.System requirements:Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- FASTER WIFI- Powerful WiFi can reach up to 1.2 Gbps for better WiFi speeds
- BETTER RANGE - Provides WiFi connectivity throughout your home for all your Internet-enabled devices.
- BEAMFORMING+ - Direct speed and connectivity to your devices.Wifi Band- Simultaneous Dual Band WiFi-Tx/Rx 2X2 (2.4GHz) + 2X2(5GHz)
- MANAGE YOUR NETWORK - Manage web filtering and accessibility by profiles or devices
- DYNAMIC QoS - Prioritize bandwidth for the best gaming and streaming experience.IPV6 support for improved performance
- Wireless internet router works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450Mbps for 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming comparable to the router Netgear R6700
- 3 external antennas for long range wifi
- Gigabit router with 4 gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, ideal as a gaming router
- Integrated USB port acts as a media server, easily share your USB drive content
- One of wireless routers for home which is compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Gigabit router with 4 gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, also ideal as gaming router
- Long range coverage by 3 external antennas
- Beamforming technology makes the router smart detecting where you need fast wi-fi
- 1GHz powerful dual-core processor easily handles multiple devices (laptops, tablets, phones, smart home, Alexa-enabled devices & more).Operating Temperature: 0℃~40 ℃ (32 ℉~104℉)
- Concurrent Dual-band (2. 4 + 5 GHz) AC1700 wireless router with the latest 802. 11ac MU-MIMO (4T4R) technology for data transfer speeds up to 1700 Mbps
- Quad-core processor with 256MB ram optimizes network traffic and connectivity speeds from the USB 3. 0 and 4x Gigabit LAN ports
- Mu-Mimo (3x3) delivers full speed for multiple devices by connecting multiple MU-MIMO-compatible clients at each device's maximum Wi-Fi speed simultaneously
- AiRadar Beamforming technology with 4 fixed antennas for stronger wireless coverage
- Manage your network with the ASUS router app - setup your network, manage usage and parental controls, even get instant notifications about important network-based events
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag-free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz dual-core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your WiFi with AC2600 dual-band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced Quality of Service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Make every millisecond count by using geo-filtering to connect to the closest servers and players so you can respond and dominate
- Monitor your network and game ping in real time so you can see who's hogging the bandwidth by device and application
- A new type of connected system for seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Replaces your current router, and works your modem and internet service. It's compatible with major internet service providers including Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon Fios
- A single Wifi point covers up to 1,500 sq. ft, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 sq. ft. Wifi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
- Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what's connected, prioritize devices, and pause the Wi-Fi on kids' devices.Family controls allow you to pause the WiFi on kids' devices, like during
- Delivers speeds of up to N300 + AC867 mbps
- Does not include modem. Platform compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8 32/64, Windows 8.1 32/64, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion,Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Supercharged wired connection. Power 12V, 2A
- USB 3.0 port: USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet ports ensure ultimate media streaming and fast data transfer of photos, video, data files or connecting devices across your network. USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
- Up to 2.8 times faster than Wireless-N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to N300 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC867 Mbps (5 GHz) for media-intense applications.Operating Temperature: 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)
- Linux-based Internet-sharing Router with built-in 4-port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection (10/100 WAN) with 4 Ethernet wired (10/100 switched LAN ;Compliant with the IEEE 802.11b/g protocol;LEDs: Power, DMZ, WLAN, Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet
- Max. Link Rate:54 Mbps; Has 2 External Antennas ; supports WPA2 standards for use of the available encryption regardless of client devices and features a built-in SPI firewall to prevent potential attacks from the Internet
- Interface: Ethernet Port; Ports: 1x 10/100 WAN, 4x 10/100 Switched LAN, 1x Power;Dimensions 3.91 x 3.85 x 3.92" / 99.5 x 97.8 x 99.6 mm
- Platform Compatibility: Windows XP , Windows Vista 32/64 ; package includes router and no modem. Operating Humidity:10 to 85% Noncondensing
- 10X'S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only "Fast Ethernet" ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids staying online too late at night? Restrict access to only the times you want
- RANGE EXTENDER: Extend any existing wireless network using the Universal Range Extender Mode to cover even larger areas & keep all your devices on the same network